Friday, December 23, 2022

Mpumalanga Tangible Coders


I've been coding since 2016, and one of my main challenges has been reaching as many kids as possible, but that wasn't always possible because many schools don't have computer labs, and devices like desktops, laptops, and tablets were fantasies for many schools in my district.

Some schools will receive old unused desktop computers disguised as contributions. Because the schools with devices were not connected to the internet, connectivity, which was necessary by some coding sessions, reduced my energy levels. One extraordinary, unexpected day occurred when I feared the Mpumalanga ICT Club of my dreams would not survive the Covid-19 trials. I needed something to get me through it, especially after the President announced that coding and robotics will be added as formal subjects. I wanted to do more. 
I discovered about unplugged coding via Prof Jean Greyling's articles and reached out to him without hesitation; he hooked me up. You know what, I was overjoyed, and my sister Ntombizodwa and my daughter Nomzamo shone the brightness through my eyes as they touched those coding tokens of Tanks. We were all taken aback by the app's image recognition magic, as well as the game's inherent problem-solving and teamwork skills. Wait until I engulf you with all of the reactions we received from each child who touched the same tokens. "Mem, I'm winning," one grade 3 pupil said in the middle of the workshop at Benzangani Primary School. We were able to reach more schools,  than what we expected such as ITsoseng, Rankaila, Phopholo, Bazani in Mpumalanga and Tiamoko and Tlamaganyo Primary School in Soshanguve.
I tried my best to explain the coding games on the local radio stations and in the local media, but it only made sense when journalists came to witness the largest coding competition ever held in our province, the Mandela Day Coding Tournament. 
It had a great impact, made people smile, and told amazing stories all around South Africa and beyond. We were counted in and are still waiting for additional major events. We, the Mpumalanga ICT Club and the interns from the Leva Foundation, have established ourselves as Mpumalanga's Tangible Coders.

No comments:

Post a Comment